Today’s Gamers Report UK Part 2

January 20th, 2010 by Arjan Olsder Posted in Research & Stats | No Comments »

Todaysgamers Today’s Gamer has released additional information on the UK gamer. For age and Gender, please check our first report based on data from this GamesIndustry.com/TNS report.

The British consumer spent 170 Million GBP on mobile games in 2009. The report also shows this money comes from 48% of the mobile gamers. The other 52% is playing free of pirated games. This is 4.2 million non-paying consumers. The average paying consumer spent 5 GBP on games per month. The iPhone and O2’s portals are the most popular places to spend money.


The Apple iPhone is the most successful handset brand when it comes to converting mobile gamers to paying. Of their 700,000 UK mobile gamers, 85% pays for games. The leading operator is O2 with a conversion ratio of 67% for their 2,400,000 mobile gamers. Market leaders in terms of number of mobile gamers, Nokia and Sony Ericsson have 38% paying players, identical to operator Vodafone. Three quarters of paying mobile gamers has a contract opposed to using prepaid cards. For all mobile gamers this is more equal: 57% on contract, 43% using prepaid.


Only 14% of UK mobile gamers plays daily. This goes up to 18% for people who have paid for games. The majority of mobile gamers plays between 15 and 60 minutes on their mobile phone when they play. Popular games for the paying mobile gamers are puzzles, strategy, race and arcade games. Arcade games and puzzles are clearly most popular with non-paying gamers most often being the pre-installed games. 41% of all mobile gamers has played more than 3 different games in the last 6 months. 16% of paying mobile gamers, 600,000 people in absolute numbers, can be seen as the heavy users playing more than 25 different games in a 6 months period.

Get the full report from TodaysGamers.com, find part one here, find Germany here.

    Leave a Reply






    Arjan Olsder is the Vice President of Pixalon Studios. Opinions expressed on this publication do not have to represent those of Pixalon Studios.


    Contact Us:

    Other (Dutch) Publications:

    Copyright 2004-2010 Digishock Publishing. All Rights Reverved.